National Dental Hygiene Month!
October marks the beginning of National Dental Hygiene Month! We’re here to help with bringing awareness to the importance of good oral health and hygiene. It was started by the American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA),and they have been spreading awareness since 2009. At our practice, it is our goal to ensure that you are taking the proper precautions when it comes to your teeth. Did you know that proper brushing takes at least two minutes? Most adults do not even come close to brushing that long! There are multiple aspects that going to dental hygiene but it all starts with correct brushing techniques.
Proper brushing techniques:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
Once the proper brushing has taken place, the next important step is flossing. Many overlook this step, but flossing should be a critical part of your daily morning/nighttime routine. Below are the following steps to ensure you are maximizing the benefits of flossing.
- Start with about 18 inches of floss, wind most of the floss around each middle finger, leaving an inch or two of floss to work with
- Holding the floss between your thumbs and index fingers, slide it gently up-and-down between your teeth
- Gently curve the floss around the base of each tooth, making sure you go beneath the gumline. Never snap or force the floss, as this may cut or bruise delicate gum tissue
- To remove the floss, use the same back-and-forth motion to bring the floss up and away from the teeth
Remember, here at Macaluso Dentistry, we want you to showcase your dental hygiene pride, not just this month, but every day!